Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Big 3-0...part two

Pat is finally 30. I no longer have to hear about how I am in my 30s while he is in his 20s! I think he enjoyed his birthday - as it was filled with surprises.

His first 'surprise' he had pretty much figured out. His parents wanted to try to surprise him, but many clues were dropped that he had figured it out before they arrived. One clue was the two boxes of mac n cheese and two packages of kielbasa that had been purchased - yes, this is what Pat wanted for his birthday dinner. Also the overstating by his parents and Nana of 'we are just home by ourselves doing nothing' was another huge clue that something was up. Pat had also remembered Connie mentioning a job she had the week of his birthday in Indiana.

I think Pat's favorite surprise, which truly was a surprise, were his gifts from Leah, Max and me. Leah and Max 'designed' some new mouse pads for Pat for his two classrooms. I gave Pat a new nano iPod - I was even able to get his old one and recycled it for the new one, and he never knew it! His greatest surprise was his new Nike Sportband and running chip. Pat is really into this running thing, and I thought I would help keep him motivated. The chip will allow Pat to keep track of his distances, times, calories etc. My parents even contributed with some $$ for some new running shoes. Pat's parents sorted out hundreds of family photos and created a nice photo album of Pat throughout the past 30 years - Pat will enjoy sharing it with Leah and Max someday. We finished up the day with Pat's favorite dessert, homemade Cherry Cheesecake.Since Pat's parents were in town, we took advantage of going to dinner Friday night - just the two of us. We enjoyed the patio at PF Changs and then went to Bob Roncker's Running Spot for Pat's new shoes. Big mistake - Pat had to get up on the treadmill and run so that the sales guy could help him pick the best shoes for him. Pat did not enjoy doing this with a full tummy and jeans! But he picked out a nice new pair of Asics.

Saturday the family split up - Pat and his dad went golfing while Connie and I took the kids to breakfast and the zoo. At the zoo we met up with Jenny and Lily. The zoo was busy and the animals lazy. But the kiddos had a great time at the playground! For dinner we had delicious ribs and said goodnight with a trip to the 'yellow park' and with a few rounds of Dominoes.
I think Pat enjoyed turning the Big 3-0. Unfortunately I was running around crazy for most of the weekend that I was unable to get some pictures taken. So these will have to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment